"Why do I look bad in pictures but good in real life?"
It's a question people ask me every day as a headshot photographer.
Well, in this article I'll show you how to find your best angle for photos in just a few minutes so you start liking pictures of yourself (and yes, this works even for people who hate having their picture taken).
Ready to get started?
How Do I Find My Best Pose?
Men should stand at an angle to the camera and lean all their weight on either the back or front leg. Weight on the back leg helps you look more relaxed, and weight on the front leg helps you look strong and confident.
Women should stand with both feet directly towards the camera, and just shift the body weight to one leg or another. Raising one of the shoulders and tilting the head head towards it a bit can make most women look more photogenic.
How Can I Look Better in a Group Photo?
- Don't face your body directly towards the camera. Angle yourself so you're on your good side, and avoid standing dead center in the group.
- Wear well-fitted clothes. If your clothes are too big, the camera will make it look like you're much heavier than you really are. Here's a great guide on what to wear in pictures.
- Laugh so you have a great smile. If your expression is fake and you don't look happy, you'll never look good in a group shot.
- Posture is crucial. If you're hunched, you'll never look good. Make sure to stand (or sit) tall!
- Do the turtle a bit. When you push your face towards the camera by about an inch, it slims out your jawline and helps you look better. Just be careful to not overdue it or you'll look oddly hunched!
Can Someone Look Better in Person than Photos?
On the other hand, there have also been people who look better in pictures than in real life! It's rare, but there have been people we've shot in our studio where, when meeting them, we thought they'd be really difficult to get good pictures of. But somehow, within just the first few shots, their smile started looking great and the lighting just worked perfectly for their face!
Why Do I Have a Bad Side of My Face?
The Overall Takeaway
And art is subjective.
Worrying what other people think and trying to figure out which side will please the world is only going to hurt you in the long run because being photogenic is not really about what you look like, but how confident you are in yourself.
There's a great quote that goes: "He who trims himself to suit everyone will soon whittle himself away."
It means that once you've done the basics and found your best side (by following the advice in this article), you should stick with it and feel proud. Don't be afraid of what other people might say or think.
At the end of the day, this is your life, and you should be happy with yourself as you are.
And anyone who has a problem with that? Ignore them! You do you.
If you enjoyed this article, here are a few others you might like:
For guest posts, please email me at email@example.com.