Wow, there are so many photographers, and so little time! This guide will tell you what to look for in choosing the best headshot photographer for the best results.
1. Remember, money is skill. But not always! Sometimes someone who is a natural at headshot photography and is just getting started in the business can give you great headshots for a low price! But always look at their sample headshots first, because you don't want to spend even $20 if the headshots you get back are absolutely useless.
2. After looking at a photographer's headshot samples, give them a call (assuming they are in your price range). You can email them but it's a much better idea to call because you want to get an idea of what kind of person they are by talking to them over the phone. Do they have time for you? Do they even care? Don't work with them if they don't seem to be interested in talking to you, or seem to busy to want to deal with you. They probably won't end up giving you as good headshots as someone who really does care about giving you the most for your money.
3. Email to set up a time, and be sure they are responsive. This goes for any professional you might be working with: if they take more than two days to respond, that's not a good sign. You need to always feel comfortable knowing that your headshot photographer is prepared and ready to serve you. You're paying them, so why should you be worried that they might not show up?
4. After you feel comfortable that your headshot photographer is responsible and easy to work with, it's a good idea to see if you can meet with him or her before the session as well. But many headshot photographers are very busy and can't offer their time like that, so if that is not an option, you don't need to worry too much. If it is an option, however, it can be good to get to know them better and see if you get along well. The headshot photographer should be able to make you laugh and you should feel comfortable around him/her, as it is the only way you will get good pictures.
5. On the day of the shoot, the best thing to do is to take things lightly and not to be too worried about trying to get the perfect headshot, because it will come if you give the photographer enough time and you two get along well.
6. See my article "How to Get Good Headshots" at the bottom of the home page for more information on what to do to get ready for your session!
7. If you have any other questions or new further info, don't hesitate to contact me.
Tips: Biggest thing is to make sure you trust and get along well with the headshot photographer. Not everyone is compatible, and a photographer who seems like a jerk to you might be perfect for someone else. But if you hire a headshot photographer who you don't get along with, it will become a mutually destructive photoshoot and you won't get good headshots or have a good time.
Warnings: Be sure to ask the headshot photographer for referrals if they don't have many samples. Don't get scammed by someone asking for down-payments or who asks for exorbitant sums of money or weird payment plans. Remember, if something sounds suspicious, it's probably a scam.
Headshots NYC - Cheap, Professional Headshots in New York City
Hey I'm Martin, and my goal is to help you reach yours. I love writing content about career advancement, marketing strategies, productivity, and much more.