How to Get a Great Headshot
So, you're looking to get a headshot done. Great decision! This guide will give you some quick pointers to look out for to ensure you get a headshot that looks great and works well for you:
- Hire a professional photographer that specializes in headshots.
- Wear simple and professional clothing that is well-fitted.
- Hire a makeup artist and go for natural makeup - not extreme glam.
- Lighting should be soft and not too many shadows.
- A pop of color should show in the shot, either in the background or in an article of clothing you're wearing - meaning just have a bit of color somewhere so it's not all neutral tones.
- The eyes should be razor sharp focused.
- Your expression should feel genuine and not look forced.
- Shoot on a flat backdrop if you're in a more formal industry, or a colorful, blurred backdrop if you're in a more casual industry.
- The photo should look great when it's really small (for online use).
- It must look like you do in real life, meaning not overly retouched or thinner than you are.
- Do not wear distracting jewelry or clothing.
- The background should be very simple, either blurred or a flat color.
- Don't look posed or stiff, go for a natural position that feels comfortable.
- Hands should not be in the shot.
- Avoid the high-school yearbook style shot with a marbleized background and posed feel.
- No excessive cleavage, skin, sexuality, or weirdness should be present.
- The photo should focus on your brand and show your personality.
- Have fun and don't worry about stressing over the perfect shot, otherwise you'll look tense in all your images.
- Get the photo professionally retouched.
- Use your new headshot right away by uploading it online within a day or two